Friday 26 August 2011

10 Things… I Would Do If I Was “Doctor Who” Exec Producer

And by Executive Producer I mean Lead Writer and Show-runner. The role that RTD did, and that Steven Moffat now does. These are purely hypothetical and are my opinions, and a lot of them reflect details of Yesterday’s Post about Disliking New Who.

1. Only use Romance when necessary
The 8th Doctor and Grace’s romance was right, but the stretched out plot of 10/Rose romance wasn’t right. I’d only use romance between human characters, in which it can be a useful storytelling device, or if the Doctor truly loved someone and admitted it.

2. Keep Matt Smith
He won’t stay forever, but if I was Executive Producer I would make sure he stayed on for one maybe two more years as the Doctor.

3. Get rid of Amy and Rory
I like Rory, and even Amy’s starting to grow on me, but I still believe Amy is nothing more than a reason for dad’s to watch, and I believe Rory hasn’t lived to his full potential. If I kept Matt Smith, I may keep Rory for a while to expand his character properly, but Amy wouldn’t be in the series.

4. Horror Stories
A return to the Holmes/Hinchliffe 4th Doctor era would be wonderful. Enough of light-hearted stories, it’s time properly dark and scary stories were brought back. Not all the time, but enough to make the entire country watch from behind one massive sofa.

5. Use a range of writers, as well as existing ones
Writers such as Mark Gattiss and Gareth Roberts are perfect for the series, so I’d use writers like them. I’d bring back Neil Gaiman, and he and Gattiss would create the perfect episodes to fit in wit the ‘horror stories’ idea. Steven Moffat would write an episode, as would Russell T Davies. They’re fantastic when writing single episodes and not show running, where they haven’t and didn’t quite live up to full potential.

I would also bring back writers such as Andrew Smith, who wrote the 1980 episode “Full Circle”. I recently interviewed Andrew for my magazine (www.genesysmagazine.tk) and he said he’d love to write for Doctor Who again. I would also use Robert Shearman (writer of Dalek) and Ben Aaronovitch, who wrote excellent episodes for the 7th Doctor. I would also use writers of some of the novels that have been written for the series. And into all this, I’d throw a completely new range of writers into the mix.

6. Change the Series Format
Go back to ‘classic’ format, by having about 7 episodes one year, 6 the next, BUT having each of those episodes split into about 4 parts running half an hour each.

7. Redesigning the show (Logo/TARDIS/Titles/Theme Tune)
A new TARDIS, which on the outside would be a combination between the 8th Doctor, the 11th Doctor and the 4th Doctor’s TARDIS. On the inside, it would be an upgraded version of the 8th Doctor’s “gothic” TARDIS. The logo would be in style of the classic ones, with the Doctor above the Who, and the insignia would be dropped… from a great height. The new logos don’t work for me. Also, the theme tune would be a spooky version of the original, and the titles would be wild and crazy and colourful. Just not cloudy.

8. DVD Covers
The new series DVD covers are too simple and enough thought doesn’t go into them. As well as putting more thought into logos and titles, the standard of the DVD covers would improve.

9. Use the Daleks less, and other classic monsters more
The Daleks are overused, and unless some really impressive storylines appeared, I wouldn’t use them. Maybe I’d use Davros more instead. Like the audios, “I, Davros”. As for using other classic monsters, the Ice Warriors would receive an upgrade, and the Autons would finally have some proper story lines, and would be expanded. They certainly wouldn’t just be used for introduction stories. The Cybermen would also receive a big redesign.

10. A Darker Doctor and a different type of companion
First of all, a male companion. They don’t use them enough, and I’m tired of modern-day female companions. Even if there was a female companion, they probably wouldn’t be from modern-day Earth. And the Doctor would need to be more sinister, darker, and would draw from Andrew Cartmel’s Masterplan a lot more… Lungbarrow here we come.

My ideas would change the series, but it would reunite it with it’s past. Sadly – this is all just a theory.

For now Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment