Monday 7 November 2011

Young Dracula – Episodes 2 & 3 Review

As I mentioned in my last review, several times, Young Dracula is back and it’s excellent. And I’d like to thank Erin from Young Dracula for reading my review (and reading this one if she’s reading) and calling it “ace”. It’s REALLY good to know that someone. Famous. Is reading my reviews, so I shall keep going.

Episode Two was also very very good. It didn’t quite have the same feel as episode one did, and seemed to focus on the humour and the whole “oh its a CBBC programme lets put some childish bits in" thing. But, it is a CBBC programme, and that kind of stuff is inevitable. And ultimately, it hardly detracted from the plot. The plot was driven forward brilliantly by the scenes with Erin and her brother, Ingrid is back, which means we can no doubt expect more sarcastic comments throughout the series. Episode Two felt completely like Young Dracula, and it still kept pushing the series in new directions. Vlad and his tutor or mentor or whatever the word they use is excellent, and the scenes with all the tutors were great. It also kept pushing the new themes that were brought in in episode one – and while this episode felt more like an early episode of Young Dracula, it still had the darkness to make it very very good. Superb in fact. In all places except the ones including Renfield.

Episode Three was simply amazing. Again. The Count reading Twilight was fantastic, the little cameo from that woman off Waterloo Road who’s now in Strictly Come Dancing was considerably shorter than I thought it would be, and we’re still getting developments with characters. Vlad’s scenes with Magda were fantastically written and acted, and even though I’ll admit to groaning when I read Magda was coming back, the whole episode was handled brilliantly. Ingrid was back with her sarcastic comments (yay) and it seemed like a true example of the new Young Dracula. I was avoiding using this cliché, but the series has grown up with the people in it. The series now seems to be exploring the relationships between everybody , and we’re still getting the action, the whole Erin is a slayer theme, and the comedy and the darkness the series has. But I’m noticing a lack of Vlad and Erin scenes like there were in episode one.

But the series is now showing the kind of things it does best. Scenes between two people (Vlad and Ingrid meeting again, Vlad and Magda talking at the school, the Count and that Head Teacher woman who’s name I can’t remember, and also the final scene of Episode One where we discover Erin is a slayer) are brilliant. They’re written and directed brilliantly, and the acting and relationships between the characters is superb.

I’m loving this series of Young Dracula, and it’s nice to have half an hour watching it where I don’t have to think about the Maths homework I’ve gotta do, or my science exam next week.

Young Dracula is excellent. For everyone. And tomorrow or at some point I’ll be reviewing episode Four.

No comments:

Post a Comment